Thursday, October 29, 2015

Salted Caramel Sauce

I feel like I should start this with a confession... 

Salted caramel is basically my version of kryptonite. I simply cannot resist it. 

I have always been a caramel fan. Growing up we would go on vacation to this little resort town that had a candy store, we all could pick out one piece of candy and I always chose the caramel. I can still remember what it looked like stacked up in the display case, individually wrapped in parchment paper. I would take tiny bites and let it melt in my mouth to try and make it last as long as possible. 

Point is, I love me some caramel. And then someone, somewhere went ahead and decided to add just a hint of salt to my beloved caramel and seriously, can it get any better?! 

When I first saw a recipe for salted caramel sauce it was a no brainer that I needed to try it. Now a couple of years later it is a staple in our house. This stuff is delicious. We use it most often on ice cream, but really the possibilities are endless, drizzled over grilled fruit, or cheesecake, a dip for apples, eaten straight out of the jar with a spoon, whatever suits you, I'm not here to judge. 


This recipe for salted caramel sauce is similar to many other ones you'll find with just a few changes that have given me better and more consistent results.

Salted Caramel Sauce
2 cups sugar
12 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp fleur de sel (I've tried a few different kinds and so far this one is my absolute favorite)


To start make sure you have all the ingredients ready and nearby.

In a large heavy bottomed pot begin melting the sugar over medium heat. Using a spatula or wooden spoon continue to move the sugar around. The sugar will clump up, don't worry, just keep moving it around and it will start to melt. Using an instant read thermometer you want to cook the sugar until it is 330 degrees. It should be a deep golden color. I usually have a few sugar clumps left when it gets to temperature, that's ok, they'll be strained out later.

Once the sugar has reached 330 degrees add in the butter and whisk until the butter is fully melted and incorporated.

Turn off the heat and while whisking slowly add the heavy cream. At this point sometimes it will look like you've ruined it and that the sauce is starting to separate, just keep whisking, and very soon you should have a beautiful golden sauce.

While it is still warm pour your sauce through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of any sugar lumps that didn't fully melt. Whisk the fleur de sel in to the strained sauce. Continue whisking/stirring occasionally as the sauce cools.

When the sauce has cooled refrigerate it and enjoy!

Posted at:
Create Share Inspire Link Party at A Burst of Beautiful, The Wicker House, and Tidbits

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You won't be sorry you did! It is so delicious!

      Delete
  2. What is fleur de sel? This is so delicious when I have had it at your home that I'm going to have to try making it myself!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleur de sel is a type of salt originally from France, although it is being harvested in many other places now. It is hand-harvested and only the very top layer of the salt is collected. It is definitely one of the more expensive varieties of salt, but I think it is totally worth it for this caramel sauce! One jar will last quite a long time.

      Delete