Saturday, July 5, 2014

Onions!

For the first time I tried my hand at growing onions this year. I planted them in October and overwintered them with hopes of a spring crop. I wasn't sure if they could survive the winter especially considering we had a week of frigid temperatures (lows of 0). It appears though they did more than fine. I'm quite pleased with our first crop.


I think the blossoms are just beautiful. 




After we dug them up I laid them out to dry on the counter. Now they are all cleaned and trimmed and waiting in the pantry for whenever I need one. From what I've read if they are stored properly they can last for up to a year, but I think I'll be lucky if I don't use them up by the end of the month.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your new blog! Your profile picture is really pretty. Also, onions and bell peppers are the two things that are not thriving in our garden. The onions are just not getting bigger. We planted them at the beginning of May. Too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always had trouble with bell peppers in the past too, but this year they seem to be thriving. I'm watering them on the same schedule as our tomatoes, so a very deep (about 25 minutes) watering just once every three days. As for the onions, I would guess that they just need more time. As this was my first attempt, I don't know much, but I'd give them more time and hope for a nice fall crop!

      Delete